One of Many House Calls

One of Many House Calls
Wishing You Were Here

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Parable of the Pearl of Great Price

Matthew 13:45,46
"Again,the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls,who when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it."

Jesus had been speaking to his followers in parables now as we read for ALL of chapter 13 of Matthew. I always asked myself, as did the disciples,"why parables?"
Parables are stories that Jesus told; and using common everyday elements, conveyed hidden truths about the kingdom of God.
It is an amazing teaching tool for many reasons:
Let's hear why He said he taught in parables when asked by His disciples:
"Matthew 13:10-17:

10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?”
11 He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13 Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says:


‘ Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should[a]heal them.’[b]

16 But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear; 17 for assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.
Footnotes:

When I trained teachers, I would say that He taught in parables, I think, because the mystery of Truth is still left for the heart to hear and discover.

What heart isn't thrilled when uncovering a mystery. Like a child who discovers something for the very first time. You know how they squeal with joy when something that is hidden is uncovered. Jesus knows that we are all delighted in that sort of discovery. A hard heart cannot feel the same elation.

I also know that the God of the universe could have just as easily given the message of the kingdom much more directly....like E=MC2....or in more exact terms. But He chose to use elements in stories familiar to them/us so that could could "enter in"; walk through a door; discover Him, and be filled with the joy of discovery.

So in the "pearl of great price":
Jesus starts (in my red letter version) by saying,"again"
let's count, He has been speaking in parables now for 43 verses and continues into 52.
So again and again and again He says, "the Kingdom of heaven is like...."
again He invited us to discover...

He says the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls.
Weird He would use this word picture to metaphorically compare the kingdom to a merchant like that! We must understand that in the Jewish culture of the day; pearls came from a shellfish or clam....unclean in the day...Unclean...and He is saying to them that the kingdom of heaven is like this???
Realizing that Jesus was continually breaking the traditions of men (He said that the traditions of man make the Word of God of none effect), I believe he is referring to the opening of the kingdom to the Gentile; who before this teaching were, by the Sanhedrin and Pharisees considered unclean...as were the lepers, the sick, the women,the lame and the blind.
I believe Jesus is inferring that the Kingdom of Heaven is accessible to all merchants in search of the one true pearl of great price....He being that pearl...
So as we see the merchant, we see ourselves. Did we like that merchant lay down our lives to follow Him. I believe He is asking that of us.

On the other side of the parable...another Truth:
Jesus, the merchant....who when searching for that pearl...upon finding the hidden pearl...sells everything in order to buy it.
We are His pearl of great price...it cost Him everything...but His love for His beautiful but imperfect pearls has cost Him everything.
Jesus likens Himself to the "Good Shepherd"
Enter in:
Thinking of how great a pearl you are to Him!

John 10:14-18

14 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. 15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.
17 “Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”





No comments:

Post a Comment