One of Many House Calls

One of Many House Calls
Wishing You Were Here

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Luke

Same person, Doctor Luke, wrote Acts and Luke. Luke's empirical purpose is clearly stated ,"to present an orderly account...of all that Jesus began both to do and to teach." He includes the case for Jesus as not only the Jewish Messiah but also the Savior of the Whole World....
We are studying this book at church...so as I have been given unto...I hope that I can give...I will add to the teaching and keep some for another time.
Luke 1:1-4
Luke is trying to give an account for what has been fulfilled in Jesus. Many had given an account of orderly events and many had united the oral with the written traditions. Luke wants the readers to "Know" for certain all the things in which they had been instructed as to be certain: "that you may know the certainty of those things in which you were instructed."
Luke says that "things" had been fulfilled among them.
"Things":
Isaiah 7:14 "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel."
Micah 5:2 ""But you Bethlehem, Ephrathah; Though you are little among the thousands of Judah, Yet out of you will come forth to Me; the One to be Ruler in Israel, Whose goings forth are from old, from everlasting."
Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born; Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder; and His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor,Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

I think of the things I wait for in my life: broken relationships to heal;my children's lives to keep steady; physical and emotional healing for me and people I love; directions from God; plans to unfold;
and then I remember that the people of Israel w a i t e d so long for "things to be fulfilled"....for the Messiah to come and save them from their enemies...some are still waiting....
It had been 700+ years that people had waited for God to send His Son.
I have to think that my short life, in the scheme of eternity, is just that...a significant but short blink in the scheme of the unfolding of God's plan. I therefore think it best for me to keep my life "kneeled" in the humble perspective of eternity. I am admonished by God to do so:
"while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."2 Cor.4:18
I find great peace when I can keep my eyes fixed on the eternal....keeping my focus on all that God is unfolding in His plan for my life and for the lives of all for eternity. When worry is superimposed by Trust in a God Who has a plan...whether I can see it or not. It can be only fleeting moments when I remember that control in my life and the lives of those I worry about is no more than an illusion.....I have no control....but God has a plan....for now and for eternity...
"and the things of this world will grow strangely dim; in the light of His glory and Grace."
All that I worry with; all that I struggle against...grows strangely dim; in the Light of His glory and grace.'

No comments:

Post a Comment