One of Many House Calls

One of Many House Calls
Wishing You Were Here

Friday, May 1, 2009

sweet time

I know the Bible says that in heaven we will have no more tears. I saw something tonight at the sweetest women's fellowship where I was a guest of my daughter. A group was performing there who were from a work center for mentally retarded adults. A retired music teacher volunteers at the center so that these handicapped adults can create music for us to see. As uncomfortable as most find it to be around these retarded people, tonight's songs made me think of heaven. I saw heaven in a most inspiring way. There was a smiling, young woman who was a soloist for the group. After they had sung some silly but fun songs; her task was to sing "Amazing Grace." Although her voice cracked often and she couldn't always remember the words, her rendition brought to my mind such a vision of heaven. "Amazing Grace, How sweet the sound; that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now I'm found; was blind but now I see." It reminded me that we are all, in our different ways, handicapped. And as each of these smiling faces delivered their songs to us, with their awkward movements and unfamiliar tones; their pure joy in doing so brought a little of heaven here to earth. Their songs and dear hearts reminded me that in heaven, there will be no more suffering; no trials and no more tears......for any and all of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment